marina houseThe Cherry Creek Basin Water Quality Authority (Authority) is tasked with preserving, protecting and enhancing the beneficial uses and water quality of Cherry Creek and Cherry Creek Reservoir, and achieving and maintaining the state water quality standards for the reservoir and watershed.
The Authority Board includes representatives from the following:

  • Arapahoe and Douglas Counties
  • The Cities and or Town of Aurora, Castle Pines, Castle Rock, Centennial, Foxfield, Greenwood Village, Lone Tree, and Parker
  • One member representing the seven special districts providing wastewater services in the Authority’s boundaries (Arapahoe Water and Wastewater Authority, Cottonwood Water and Sanitation District, Inverness Water and Sanitation District, Meridian Metropolitan District, Parker Water and Sanitation District, Pinery Water and Sanitation District, and Stonegate Village Metropolitan District)
  • Seven citizens representing environmental, economic and sporting interests, appointed by the Governor.

Funded primarily through property tax (see the budget), the Authority is required to spend at least 60-percent of its revenues on the construction and maintenance of capital projects that improve water quality in Cherry Creek and the Reservoir.

Since 1985 the Authority has:

  • Conducted extensive water quality monitoring of Cherry Creek, its tributaries, the alluvium, and the Reservoir. Details may be found in the “CCBWQA Data Viewer” link and in reports that may be found in the Resources page.
  • Worked with land use agencies, Cherry Creek State Park, and other partners to adopt appropriate regulations and individually or as a partner, built “Pollutant Reduction Facilities” and other water quality improvements. Details may be found in the Projects page.
  • Developed and updated models for both the Reservoir and the Watershed that help understand and predict water quality.
  • Reviewed site applications for WWTFs (Waste Water Treatment Facilities) and lift stations, wastewater utility plans, and land use and development applications
  • Developed a multi-year Capital Improvement Project (CIP) plan, which can be found in the Budget, on the Resources Tab.
  • Developed information and education programs.

Comments are closed.